Wednesday, May 22, 2013

AVENGERS (MOVIE) "REVIEW" BY: USAGENT2009 (MARVEL COMICS)


Marvel's The Avengers... Like the name itself emphatically implies; "its own creation" somehow given life from what we the fans recognize as the "ORIGINAL AVENGERS" comic book series. I was asked by "Screaming Banshee Toyz" ( http://www.amazon.com/shops/SCREAMINGBANSHEETOYZ )to give a brief personal view of my feelings towards this movie because of all the befuddled opinions circulating within his staff, contributors, and other moviegoers who had the pleasure of seeing this film. However, I found after deciding to undertake this endeavor, I too, was not so sure anymore just what it was that I had witnessed in the theater on opening week. It's simple to walk away from this one saying; "Wow! That was a kick ass movie adaptation that I'd love to quickly rush to get another ticket to see again!" But... after some time and thinking (as well as attaining the right resources to view it at home with some more time to take in what I had just recently seen at the theater) I found that it WAS a good movie, but maybe just not a movie that I'd title "The Avengers". 

From the get go I was actually asking myself what the hell was going on? I mean, in its own defense, I believe adapting any comic book to a cinematic format is a large and tedious undertaking with many expected flaws and challenges to arise. I guess given the fact that this particular, once very popular comic book totally challenged the writer and director (Joss Whedon) to not only tell a story that could be solved in roughly two plus hours while including a laundry list of main characters, but to also flow with a hearty array of violence and mouthwatering action to keep the fans from drifting into a frozen ice coma that would give Captain America himself chills. Obviously, this is a daunting task for anyone who has ever tried (and in most cases, failed miserably)!

With that said, I think that in some aspects of the movie, I found certain elements that were just completely out of place, such as it either was not a good choice of scene piecing or it did not stay accurate to a character's true nature to the point where it easily stood out and made no sense, and yet... then there were other elements of the movie that were superb for connecting with not only the fans, but the characters rich history. One case in point of particular things that stood out and just didn't make any sense was the actions of Loki. While the Loki I remember from early stories told in Thor and Silver Surfer had him as a power-hungry stepbrother that relied heavily on mischief and deception, I could not see where in this "Ultimates" rendition where he ever achieved being cunning or misleading, at all. In fact, he was too calm and a bit too direct in his goals. The scene of him visiting Tony Stark at Stark Tower, so he could get into a debate over world domination while Stark begins to take another drink, had quite a few flaws. Why would Loki even put himself in a situation where he may end up in danger? If in fact we have always been led to believe that Loki is a coward, then why would he do something so drastically out of character? And didn't Tony Stark go through his drinking phase in his own movie (Iron Man 2)? Or are we seeing hints of his on again-off again wagon falling?

Another character that did not seem to follow his own character mythology, was Thor. Instead of being a brooding, somewhat stuck in his normal ancient heritages logic and ways of prowess type of guy, Thor in this modern version of himself came across as more violent and self-driven by Asgardian code and valor. I found other characters in this movie, such as the Hulk and Black Widow, to be more along the weak end of their development and portrayal. The Hulk, although much more fun than the uncontrollable raging monster we have all seen in numerous other multimedia facets in the past, was a bit more controlled, comical, and unusually enough... a team player. Or were they trying to portray him as a big dumb animal? Who can tell? Still... he seemed to not get as much screen time as I personally would have liked to see him share. And then there's the Black Widow, who in this film was a bit less sexy and completely unsure of her physical capabilities and skills of getting what she wanted done (whether it was killing or seducing), than the Black Widow that I remember from the numerous amount of comic books (and Iron Man 2 movie) she appeared in.

Typical Marvel movie, disgusting play book antics, and yet... it still prevailed (as always) like all their other cinematic ventures from the past. These antics get more and more annoying with every passing movie. Such as personal written in humor to try and make light of scenes and situations that implied humor was needed to smooth sail the scene to its viewing audience's assumed low I.Q. level. Less amusing is a reference constantly being made to modern social behavior that fits today's human characteristics and pop shots of pop culture for 2012, rather than that of a comic book trying to refrain from locking into any particular time period. I understand the references and that vintage comics, whether directly or indirectly, hold a certain sense of its age by language and examples used in its dialog, but it seems a bit modern age smug to place jokes about sex, drugs, technology, and current political and non-political elements, that we in the real world face on a daily basis, in every single scene without even a break from it. It gives a sense of; "action... cut! joke... cut! action... cut! joke... cut!" in each and every clip. I can hear the little Avengers on my shoulders saying; "Oh, lighten up!", but it's this constant "oh, look how funny I am" B***S*** that is thrown at me in each and every scene that seems more for attempting to make me like the actor than fitting what the character would actually say during that same particular situation.

Although some scenes dragged, such as the Hellicarrier introduction, others seemed to move along quite nicely, such as the battle to take back the city. But, at times, even that looked like a bunch of misplaced action scenes, rather than much of a start-to-finish threat, followed by plan of action, retaliation followed by initial failure, innocent lives being saved by the valiant, perseverance once again, and finally a successful comeback by the hero beating the villain into complete and utter submission, and justice prevailing! Rather, it showed no one in a typical city life dying, and unless I'm mistaken (and I highly doubt it, with the amount of times I've watched this film already) no one (except for a woman who was taking refuge in a bank) was actually saved! Was this city cleared out before the battle commenced? What comic book does not have the hero saving city folk's lives?!?

This movie practically laid a skrull invasion in the hands of its writers (Zak Penn and Joss Whedon), but alas, this was never brought to light. Instead, we were given an ordinary plot with an ordinary race of darkness strong on galactic takeover through the use of a hinted "cosmic cube", that apparently is a dirty word we shall not use. The entire plot pretty much killed off any plan for "Skrulls" for a future ordeal. If any plans are on the table at all? If used, it would be far less effective seeing as the whole ambiance of an outer stellar species coming to Earth to destroy and enslave has now been used. "Ballsy Marvel!", but not well thought out. While aliens made up a nice twist and an indirect alternative threat which proved that ANY movie done well really does not need main stay villains to make a situation seem serious and a bit scary for the hero (or heroes) to prevail. It seemed more like an action taken with no real outcome or plot. If Loki can manipulate other beings to do his bidding in the comics, then why was I left with the impression that he was going to come out the loser in this on either side?!?!

I think much of the small action scenes, such as Loki killing and destroying police cars, seemed a bit out of place or almost better fitted for a Batman movie, than a movie about a god of magic, deception and sorcery. I believe that although the choice of actors was perfect in the casting of roles in a small sense, the acting seemed a bit dull and almost like they were reading off a teleprompter. It seriously lacked feeling or passion. For whatever reasons, the actors are in some instances a dual or like in the opposite directions, trying too hard. The portrayal Joss Whedon gave us for Hawkeye (performed by Jeremy Renner) seemed to be missing too much of the character's true nature and substance. Where was Hawkeye's usual boasting and his constant need to have things go his way? And where the hell was his purple and blue costume we all know so very well and love? Speaking of costumes... I'm still not feeling Captain America's! I really wish they would have went with a more textured look instead of the latex look like that of the current Batman franchise. I think Black Widow although in the past has sported both short and long hair, would have been sexier to have had it long for this movie. Well, at least her costume looked the way it was supposed to. Hulk, who I had found to have had the best resemblance to the actual comic book character, at times, when there was a close up on the character, appears to look more like a green-faced version of his actor counterpart, Mark Ruffalo. I don't know... I guess I could nitpick this movie to death, but why does the Hulk seem kind of like a dog lifting his paw to survey Iron Man's damage at the battle's end?!?

Hulk had an almost back field 2nd string level. I had hoped he'd take center stage in this large worldly threat, but he seemed to move fast through scenes much in the background with not even a matched alien in size and strength to go head to head with. Iron Man, who while I believe is the most well-developed of the group, including design and casting, Robert Downey Jr.'s performance at this point, after three films, is almost annoying. Like in the comic, he genital blocks Captain America at every turn, taking what seems like the lead role of command. And at the end is made more prominent by his "good job team" reaction. Made me ask why has Captain America not set him straight... or at least punched Tony Stark/Iron Man once to let him know that they are on a much more even playing field than the one Stark was aware of? It's okay to say; "Hey! I'm somewhat your equal!" by showing some nuts when backed into a corner, but not so much as a real grunt back at Stark, even when taunted on the carrier. I guess this team is in fact under the control of not only Tony Stark, but Robert Downey Jr. as well, as it seems no one is willing to step on even a pinky toe of either to show so much as even a small challenge to the master of science, technology, money and jokes.

I would have made references to Giant Man and his counterpart Wasp in this adaption, but clearly and almost Marvel expectedly (yeah I know it's not a real word, but you get the point), they are nowhere to be found. I'm sure once again, the writers have needed to save them for another day of battle in some future sequel, but will their on screen debut be any more or less inspiring? Some call this movie "patriotic" and a battle proving that good overcomes great harrowing odds, but did it need to be just the Avengers fighting a massive army of alien baddies? Where, for instance, was the largely talked about S.H.I.E.L.D. organization? I waited for S.H.I.E.L.D. to come in and save the day at the end, or at the very least, even the numbers and try to help out, but not no avail... nothing! I saw what was implied to be S.H.I.E.L.D. agents flying the Hellicarrier, but it appeared to be more like that of the "Men In Black" movie aspect. Heck, even Will Smith would have proved useful and would have maybe pushed this movie up a notch or two if he made a guest cameo as Agent Gabe Jones. But no! Maybe even a massive S.H.I.E.L.D. assisted strike on the alien forces at the end would have been eye grabbing and CGI ease! But no! Not even traditional S.H.I.E.L.D. uniforms. Just dark grainy watered down versions of the more recent comic book and action figures line, with no sign of the intricate advanced weaponry or tactical gear with pouches and assault rifles, laser guns or knives and concussion grenades. I'm sorry... what organization was this supposed to be?!? This was nothing like the S.H.I.E.L.D that I remember!

 
No real Nick Fury intestinal fortitude towards the end, to come to his old buddy, Steve Roger's aid. Big thanks to you "Samuel". I tip my hat to another well placed performance of "Jackson portraying Jackson" or "Nick Fury playing the part of Samuel L. Jackson". You take your pick! In any event, "Fury" had one big play on world renowned international spy skills by avoiding a massive and almost poorly spent movie budget effect of destroying an entire S.H.I.E.L.D. instillation at the movie's get go. That was clearly his shining moment. Hell... having him fighting alongside the Avengers was a hope I was truly digging for. It might have made me really like Samuel L. Jackson in any roll if he actually used his fists or shot off major clips worth of ammunition, instead of shooting off his overly boisterous mouth in each and every movie roll he is cast for. I like Jackson as a person, but I think for whatever reason due to writers block or maybe a lack of budget to afford proper medical insurance for an older hurt actor roughed up on the set, is what might be keeping Mr. Jackson from really giving his best physical performance, yet. "What's the big hype with him, anyway?", I ask!

I liked the acting skills of Mark Ruffalo, til I realized OMG, he really is Banner and not Jarvis in real lifelike butler form? But... needless to say, it felt like he just didn't fit a Bruce Banner role. Maybe more, he seemed like some kid in school. I just couldn't stop staring at his suede shoes and almost corduroy pants, thinking to myself WTF?!?! Who dressed your clown ass? ALSO, when the hell did Banner ever attempt to put a gun in his own mouth to end his ongoing struggle with the uncontrollable rage that transforms him into the Hulk?!?! And once again, Stark taunting yet another Avengers member (Bruce Banner), this time with a small electrical tool, to see if he will Hulk out! Not funny and actually quite a bit lame. Okay, so I may not have every detail ever foretold in comic book lore. I'm sure I've left out many other circumstances, elements and events in this movie that made it close to the comic book, but with that said, and all kidding aside, I so tried to like him in this movie and personally have no problem with his skills as an actor. It really is more of a casting issue. It's more like how I felt when I was watching "Ray Romano" being cast in some sick writer's punchline of "Everybody Loves Hulk". And I might add, EVERYBODY DON'T!

Stark is not funny, and his over-the-top arrogance is more than that of the entire Iron Man comics collection, volumes 1 through infinity, COMBINED! Or is it "to infinity and beyond"? I know I make light of many things and jest to maybe draw in my own crowd to read a review that does not make brutal jabs at everything with no attempt to justify its original intentions, but if not for my added humor on this movie review, I almost would like to personally punch Tony Stark in his philanthropist head and tell him to just shut the f*** up already and just frigging act! Would it be really so much to see Stark get really pissed off in some parts of this movie? Maybe demonstrate some real feelings and display some anger and beat the living snot out of someone that is not only endangering his own existence, but the existence of millions of defenseless people living in the city that's under invasion?!? Even if it means him being totally powerless and having to dump the suit and grab an alien weapon and punch, kick and shoot his way through the streets of New York City. The idea has been done before, you know? Steve Rogers Secret Avenger ring a damn bell to anyone?! It's like reading The Amazing Spider-Man and wishing that someone would just kick his ass already! I grow tired of your smart mouth comments scene after agonizing scene! Stark literally can't speak without coming across like a complete pompous douche! Then there's Captain America. The whiny douche! Captain America in no way comes across as a leader! It's like, where oh where is the confidence and take charge energy of the star spangled superhero that I and so many kids read about and grew up on?!?!

I ended up watching the entire movie MULTIPLE TIMES! And the more I watched it, the more my concerns for every little detail grew. It is my own personal opinion that things concerning detail and character behavior as a whole were, and are, very off in this entire movie. Making it seem more like some type of cross between G.I.JOE and Battle For L.A. with hints of The Dark Knight tossed in to try and force a big budget payoff. The more I wanted to like this film, and please don't take this the wrong way, for I was and still am a very large Avengers fan til this day, the more I just cannot wrap myself totally around this film or its portrayal it gave us of JOSS WHEDON'S "The Avengers"! I continue to watch it as a whole and continue to tell people in my circle that they should see it to judge for themselves, and that it's still a good movie. I'm once again just not so sure it's a movie that I'd title "The Avengers".



                                               ---- Mark C.----

We here at S.B.T. " LIKE TO THINK OF THIS AS "TAKING BACK SUNDAY!" OR IN OUR CASE "TAKING BACK OUR REVIEW!"...BROUGHT TO YOU BY THE STAFF OF S.B.T. & USAGENT2009 THE ORIGINAL REVIEW COLUMNIST FOR "AVENGERS" the movie! 
"Play Hard...Scream Loud!"       http://screamingbansheetoyz.com/

 

No comments:

Post a Comment